Funding for CASAT coordinated workshops was provided in whole or in part by the Nevada Division of Mental Health and Developmental Services (MHDS), Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Agency (SAPTA) through the Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment (SAPT) Block Grant from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the U.S. DHHS, SAMHSA, or the State of Nevada.
Information About Continuing Education Hours Awarded:
Continuing Education Hours
Workshops are approved by the following professional associations for continuing education hours:
- National Association of Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC)
- National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC)
- CASAT has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6492. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. CASAT is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Nevada Board of Examiners for Alcohol, Drug, & Gambling Counselors
- Nevada State Board of Nursing
- Board of Examiners for Marriage and Family Therapists and Clinical Professional Counselors
- State of Nevada Board of Examiners for Social Workers
- State of California Board of Behavioral Sciences (MFCC & LCSW)
- California Association of Alcoholism & Drug Abuse Counselors (CAADAC)
- California Association of Alcohol & Drug Educators (CAADE)
Information Regarding Nevada Drug and Alcohol Counselor Requirements
Nevada Administrative Code 641C (NAC 641C.300) requires that all licensed or certified alcohol and drug counselors earn 40 hours of continuing education hours during a two-year period of licensure or certification, of which three hours must pertain to ethics and three hours must pertain to confidentiality and HIPAA.
Licensed counselors who supervise certified interns must attend at least ten hours of continuing education in counseling supervision, ethics, and Nevada law during the two-year certification period. These hours may be included in the required 40 hours of continuing education.
Registered counselor interns are required to earn 15 hours of training within the first six months of their internship employment, 10 hours during the second six months, and 20 hours in each subsequent year. During the first three months, six hours of continuing education credits must pertain to ethics and six hours must pertain to confidentiality and HIPAA.
Social Work CEHs
Pursuant to NAC 641B.189(2) revised February 11, 2009 and the Nevada Board of Examiners for Social Workers, a Licensed Social Worker (LSW) may take up to 15 hours of continuing education credits and a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) may take up to 18 hours of continuing education credits via distance learning/remote study courses, home study and/or self directed learning programs during a two-year period.
For questions about continuing education for counselor licensure, certification, becoming a clinical supervisor, or internships and/or for securing approval for attending or presenting a non-CASAT/SAPTA sponsored training, contact:
Nevada Board of Examiners for Alcohol, Drug & Gambling Counselor’s office (775.884.8922) or visit their website at: http://alcohol.state.nv.us/