Registration: Substance Abuse Prevention Skills Training (SAPST): January 27-30 - In Person Training
4 day workshop that takes place on January 27-30, 2020
Grounded in current research and SAMHSA’s Strategic Prevention Framework, this foundational training helps practitioners develop the knowledge and skills needed to plan, implement, and evaluate effective, data-driven programs and practices that reduce behavioral health disparities and improve wellness.
Practitioners new to the substance abuse prevention field and/or working in related disciplines.
Participants will receive two certificates, representing a total of 31 trainings hours. These can be submitted to participants’ local credentialing authority toward prevention certification or re-certification.
4 days (in-person) plus 5 hours online
- Define behavioral health and its relationship to substance misuse
- Describe the Strategic Prevention Framework, SAMHSA’s five-step planning model
- Identify the needs of vulnerable populations in order to improve cultural competency and more effectively address behavioral health disparities
- Discuss effective approaches to collaborating across sectors to sustain prevention outcomes
- Introduction to Substance Abuse Prevention: Understanding the Basics (online)
- Basic terminology and facts
- History of substance use and prevention in the U.S.
- Addiction and the brain
- Effects and health risks of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs
- Setting the Foundation: From Theory to Practice (in-person)
- Behavioral health
- Institute of Medicine’s Continuum of Care
- Public health approach
- Risk and protective factors
- Developmental perspective
- Application: SAMHSA’s Strategic Prevention Framework (in-person)
- Assessment, capacity, planning, implementation, and evaluation
- Cultural competence, sustainability
IMPORTANT NOTE: Completion of the free Pre-SAPST workshop is a prerequisite to this course. Please create an account and register for the pre-course with the following link: https://healtheknowledge.org/course/index.php?categoryid=89