Registration: Foundations for Working with Clients in Treatment and Recovery - Webinar
This course is designed to build knowledge and address some of the common challenges that arise from working with clients in treatment and recovery from drug and alcohol misuse.
Some of the topics will include recovery language, building rapport with new clients, overview of commonly misused substances (prevalence, trends, and terminology), co-occurring disorders, addressing relapse, reducing barriers, understanding harm reduction and what defines success in treatment and in recovery.
Attendees will leave with a better understanding of how to effectively work with this population and with knowledge on how to confront common challenges with confidence that their interventions are benefitting their clients.
- Understand the impact of stigma in relation to SUD
- Review person first language concepts
- Learn the importance and steps of discussing assessment results
- Discuss how to establish a therapeutic relationship with clients
- Learn effective referral and case management strategies
- Understand methods to overcome barriers to treatment
- Review components of developing realistic expectations of clients
- Learn how to address relapse or continued use with clients
- Become familiar with commonly used drugs and common co-occurring disorders
- Understand the purpose, practical use of and benefits of harm reduction
- Define success in drug and alcohol treatment and recovery
- Understand the process of discharge planning