Registration: Gambling Disorder Overview - Online Video
Maureen Greeley, BS and Tana Russell, SUDP, WSCGC-II, NCTTP
Counselors seeking information on how they can work with clients affected by gambling disorder in their practice will benefit from this introduction through a Gambling Disorder Overview. Participants will learn about gambling disorder patterns, phases, and risk factors as well as diagnostic classifications and the gambling continuum. The online training will look at types of gambling and how public perceptions and stigma around gambling impact awareness, treatment, and recovery. We’ll look at some of the brain science – the neurobiology – surrounding gambling disorder and the similarities and differences between substance use and gambling disorders. Information about why counselors should consider seeking gambling counselor certification and basic information on goals and requirements of certification will be covered.
- Participants will be able to identify at least seven public perceptions regarding gambling that impact awareness and treatment barriers.
- Participants will be able to identify the diagnostic terms and justifications used to place gambling disorder among the Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders section in the DSM-5.
- Participants will be able to compare the similarities and differences between substance use and gambling disorders, including cognitive impairment and brain response.
- Participants will be able to identify potential benefits and requirements for becoming a Certified Gambling Counselor.
Continuing Education Hours: 2 CEUs
This training is approved for CEUs by the following professional organizations:
- National Association of Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC)
- International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC)
- Nevada Board of Examiners for Alcohol, Drug, & Gambling Counselors
- Nevada State Board of Nursing
- Board of Examiners for Marriage and Family Therapists and Clinical Professional Counselors
- State of Nevada Board of Examiners for Social Workers
Presentation materials are not for reproduction or distribution without specific written authorization.
Registration for this training is currently closed..